Friday, December 31, 2010

Waiting for the New Year

It's one of those moments where you pause, realize that tomorrow is a new day, new month, new year and you have the momentary panic attack because you're suddenly being pounded by a million thoughts of "What on EARTH did I DO with a WHOLE YEAR?!?"  Then you laugh and comfort yourself with "Oh, it's not THAT bad, I MUST have done SOMETHING constructive this year, right?  Anyone?  Someone going to agree with me?!?"

But seriously...

What DID I do with this last year?

Madison started Primary.  Finalized Maelee's adoption.  Had her sealed to our family for eternity!  Maelee learned to crawl, walk, run, climb, jump and drive us crazy.  I turned 25.  Madison turned 4.  Madison took swimming lessons.  Maelee turned 1.  We finally got a nice TV.  Clint had a few kayaking adventures.  Madison started pre-school.  Clint turned 29.  We discovered Maelee is double-jointed in both thumbs {and it's truly a freakish thing to behold!}.  Madison split her head open and needed 2 staples.  We played in the snow.

That about sums up 2010 as far as milestones, but what else happened?  Did I lose 10 pounds?  Nope.  Totally fell short of that goal... again.  *sigh*  Did I simplify my life?  I'm not exactly sure.  I think I may have just trained myself to not stress out as easily instead... hmmm.  Maybe I need to think about that one a little more!  Did I achieve any great accomplishment?  Yeah, I think I did.

My kids still love me.  My husband still thinks I'm great.  Our home is pretty clean and comfortable.  I haven't totally scarred my children or husband with any of my crazy ideas or lack thereof.  I feel like we're living a semi-charmed, happy life and that, to me, is quite an achievement.

Do I have any regrets for 2010?  Maybe.  Probably.  Yeah, ok.  Yes.  I wish I had exercised more self-control at times.  I wish I had let more little things slide.  I wish I had been more laid-back when it mattered and more stubborn when it was needed of me.  I wish I had been more committed to doing the little things, and making them count. 

Are we ready for 2011?  You betcha!  I'm SUPER excited for the new year.  I'm excited to recommit myself to my goals and to try a little harder.  I'm excited to watch my girls learn and grow.  Excited for all the projects I have written in my little notebook.  I'm excited to watch my photog business grow.  And I'm really excited to spend another year with Clint.  He's such a kid at heart and I love living our life together. 

But right now?  Right this second I'm excited to chill on the couch and watch Incredibles with my girls until Clint gets home.  What a great way to wait for the new year, eh?

3 comments:

Andy and Michele said...

It was a great way to start the new year! With our little boys at heart! :) Ya, I have those regrets too, but I am way excited to do better!!!

Summers Family said...

Here's to achieving those goals!!! I guess I should set some!!!

Jon and Rach said...

We need to see more of you guys! Sounds like your year was great... My kids keep saying "remember that girl that came and stayed, Is she going to come back?" :)
Come visit!!