Sunday, July 20, 2008

Happy 24th of July Everyone!!

We live in one of 3 towns clustered together in a valley at the base of a beautiful mountain. Every year the 24th of July celebrations pass from one town to the next, but they are always on the weekend before the actual 24th of July, that way everyone who leaves home knows exactly when all the festivities are. That is why this weekend, instead of next, we celebrated our Pioneer ancestors.



Our family started things off right with Madison sleeping in until 7!!! (She’s been getting up between 6 – 6:30, gag!) At 9 we wandered around the corner to work on our ward float, and Madison found a bicycle that she thought was the coolest thing ever! Daddy took her for a short ride, but it was too hot so Maddie and I walked over to Clint’s Grandparents’ home for a visit.



Papa Jerry tried on her shoes, shared chocolate, got her a drink, some crackers… basically wrapped himself around her pinky finger and begged to be left there. She thought it was great, and thoroughly enjoyed being treated like a princess!



She even lied down on the couch for a “Night night” and he covered her with a blanket.


Grandma Leona enjoyed all the activity and expressed her delight with an occasional chuckle from her chair.


We made our way back over to the float, but it was even hotter now and so Clint gave us a couple bucks for some ice cream. So, we were off again to get our baby cones and, Maddie did a better job than I did at this one, make a vanilla-sticky mess all over our faces and hands!

The girls left the Daddies with the kids and went to lunch with was fabulous!! I had a Kauai (sp?) Quesadilla that, let’s face it, made me happy! :) It had chicken, bell peppers, onions and pineapple with a tangy teriyaki sauce and sour cream… need I say more? Then we stopped in at Wal Mart to look at things that husbands quake and tremble when we look at – fabric and scrapbooking supplies! I was so excited when I saw that they FINLLY carry vinyl for Cricuts! I got one for Mother’s Day and didn’t want to pay internet prices for the vinyl, so I’ve been waiting patiently and hooray! It paid off! I’d like to start making those vinyl signs and selling them for extra $, we’ll see if it goes anywhere or not… Then we stopped at the local scrapbooking store and believe it or not, I didn’t spend any money in there! I’m proud of me if no one else is (aside from Clint!)

After our much-needed break, my friend Marie cut my hair. Maddie woke up at that point and Clint brought her over. When she walked in, she wasn’t all the way awake yet and was a little scared to see me covered in a weird looking cape, my hair all slicked down with Marie holding a razor to my head… It didn’t help that Clint walked by and whispered, “Mommy looks like a witch, huh?” (I can just see her describing this scene years from now to a therapist!!) After she woke up a little more, she wandered back over and thought I was pretty funny looking (thankfully) and even consented to getting her hair cut too! She didn’t wear the cape, and then freaked out about all the “gross hair” that kept falling all over her, but at least all the fuzzy-frizz is off now and it’s just beautiful, healthy curls left!!


At 5 the parade started. It was raining, so people were getting pretty inventive figuring out how to stay dry.


We (Clint) even made a tent with a tarp strung between two trucks, but he did end up very dirty by the end of the construction…


Madison loved the parade! She would yell, “Hi truck! Hi car! Hi tractor! Hi horsey! Hi friends!”






There were a couple 4-wheelers dressed up like oxen or horses, even a motorcycle tried to be a horse! Since we’re getting a Temple soon, a lot of the floats portrayed Temples and groundbreaking and the like. It was so cool to see so many people that excited about the Temple!

We didn’t stay for the dinner booths, but did brave the rain for the fireworks. They took a LONG time to get going, but once started were worth it!







Madison did NOT agree! She’s never really been one for loud noises, and wanted nothing to do with the bright lights in the sky because they were loud! She curled up on my chest and fell asleep while I took some awesome pictures of the fireworks. When we got back to the car, my arms were nearly dead from holding her for so long and we all crashed the moment our heads touched our pillows!

It was a great day and a great celebration! Happy 24th everyone!

No comments: