As we close in on week 2 of this new shindig called "public schooling", I feel the need to pass along some funny-ha-ha's from Madi's career as a Kindergartener. Maybe they're only funny to me and Clint, but I bet you'll get a few giggles out of them!!
"So Madi, did you have fun at school today?" "Yeah! It was pretty great, I got to teeter-totter with a lot of kids!" "Oh yeah? What were their names?" "Ummmmmmmmmmmmm... I dunno!" "Oh, that's ok, you can ask them tomorrow. I'm sure they were really nice girls, huh?" "Uh, Mom? They weren't GIRLS!" "Oh, no? You were teeter-tottering with boys, eh?" "Ye-AH! I teetered with 3... well, actually with 2 boys. I didn't teeter with the 3rd boy." I was totally entertained up to this point, now I'm kinda worried that she had intentionally not played with the 3rd boy or that something happened that maybe would have hurt his feelings... "Why didn't you take a turn with the 3rd boy, Madi?" "Be-CAUSE Mom, my teacher blew her whistle and made us come in! That poor boy just didn't have a chance!"
Oh brother. That poor boy just didn't have a chance?!? What on earth?!? What 5 year old talks like that?!?!? Sheez-Louise!
*****
Thursday evening she was kinda crusty and she told me {with this totally sad puppy face}, "Mom, I just wish I were in school right now!" and then burst into tears. Hey, at least she likes it eh? :O)
*****
The first Friday that she was in school, she went to play at Grandma's house after school for a few hours. By about 4:30, I found Clint sitting with his chin resting on the window sill of our large front window, staring out with puppy eyes. "I miss my Madison!" he pouted. "Oh, it's ok Maelee!" I teased. After recovering from his glare that followed and my giggles in return, I suggested he walk over with a snack and go get her. He perked right up and was almost giddy! Too cute! Love that boy!!!
*****
She found a whistle she got from the library summer reading program and has been using it to enforce "rules". She's extra careful to blow it softly in the house, but Maelee still gets wide eyes every time and says, "Wow. Loud!" Madi came up to me on Saturday {after being SO bummed out about not getting to go to school that day} with this HUGE grin on her face and told me she had a great idea - she would save that whistle and use it when she got big and was a teacher. Then she could blow it to let all the kids know it was time to come in from recess. :O) She "practiced" on us all evening, and told us that she hoped "they" picked her to be a teacher when she grew up {we had to explain to her that no one picks you to be something, you get to choose and then go to school for it}. Madi LOVES her teacher and wants to be "the best teacher just like my teacher!" when she grows up.
*****
Maelee dropped a flashlight on Madi's toe Saturday night and it sliced the skin open, but then folded back onto itself and bruised up really good {really bad? What is the better word to use there...?}. A few hours and minor hysterics later, I overheard Madi say, "Huh! My toe feels like it's beeping!" A child's logic is so simple, I love it! Of course it felt like it was beeping, it was pulsing!
*****
I have a proud Mommy moment here, Madi came home today and told me that she was the first kid in her class to earn 5 "Caught Being Good" certificates in one day and get a prize! She said that 2 of her friends in the class earned them today too. SO PROUD OF HER!! I love that she tries her hardest to be the big helper and to listen and be a good girl at school. It gives me hope that maybe we haven't made TOO many mistakes in the last 5 years! LOL
*****
So, while Madi is in school, Maelee and I have been having fun doing our own "schooling". We've been working on colors and shapes so far, and when we went for a walk the other morning I thought it would be a great time to practice... "What color is the ditch water, Maelee?" "Bown!" "Yay! It IS brown! Good girl!" Oh, she's so smart I'm thinking... "Ok, Maelee what color is the sky?" "Ummm, this." "This?" "Yeah. This." I tell her it's blue and we move on. "What color is the ditch water, babe?" "Bown!" Ok, she's still a genius as far as I'm concerned. "What color is the grass?" "Bown!" Oh dear. Don't let Clint hear that!!! :O)
*****
So, the latest game the girls have come up with was taken from their latest fave movie, Bolt. One will be Penny and lay on the ground and start coughing, calling for Bolt. Then Bolt, the other curly sue, will come bounding over barking and "save" Penny. They go around for a minute, then Penny falls down. Bolt runs to her side and whimpers to which Penny responds, "It's ok, Bolt. Go out, it's ok. You're my good boy. I love you." and coughs a few more times. Then they switch places after Bolt super barks and falls at Penny's side. It's quite comical to see them act it out so close to the movie and to hear Maelee's cough and heroic speech. Ha ha, cute girls!
This is Maelee's "Penny" :O)
It's so strange to have the house so quiet during the day, and if I let myself think about the fact that Madi's gone for MOST of the day... I get totally bummed out and misty-eyed. Maelee can't WAIT for the day when SHE gets to be big like Madison and go to school too, boy I know I sure can! :O)


3 comments:
That Madi is such a hoot! I love it! ;)
haha, I got a kick out of this! Now that Ayden is finally starting to talk he has been saying the funniest things! Isn't it just amazing the things they say and think, it's like where did they get that! :) Madi sure is a sweetie and I bet she is gonna break some hearts, but hopefully a LONG time from now!
She has quite the personality, but we all knew that!!! She is so cute! I can't wait for Rachel to start school on Monday! I hope she enjoys it as much as Madi is!
Post a Comment